[openstack-dev] Use the zmq as message backend for Opnestack components

Oleksii Zamiatin ozamiatin at mirantis.com
Wed Aug 17 14:03:13 UTC 2016

Hi Swami,

> On Aug 17, 2016, at 16:51, M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you very much...
> I guess, change to zmq is a  configuration option (ie just change nova.conf, etc) and restart the service will work..Correct me if not.

That’s correct. Be aware that zmq uses redis for services discovery and proxies (if you use configuration with proxies which is default btw) and you need to specify this in nova.conf and have available redis and proxy (don’t forget to open ports in firewall). Needed changes to configuration file are described in the guide by [1] link.

> Majority of notifications comes from compute/NOVA and will be consumed by Ceilometer. In this case, how nova message Q will syc with ceilometer?

In oslo messaging we have possibility to run separate transports for RPC and Notifications (simultaniously). So you can come up with zmq for RPC and rabbit or other transport which supports notifications.