[openstack-dev] [all][infra] Binary Package Dependencies - not only for Python

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Tue Aug 16 22:38:32 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2016-08-12 21:20:34 +0200 (+0200), Julien Danjou wrote:
> [...]
> > If bindep.txt is present, are the "standard" packages still installed?
> > If yes, this is going to be more challenging to get bindep.txt right, as
> > a missing entry will go unnoticed.
>
> As Andreas mentioned, we have a fallback list[*] which gets
> installed in most (non-devstack) jobs when you don't have a
> bindep.txt or other-requirements.txt in your repo. That said, the
> addition/modification/removal of that file is accounted for in jobs
> that test a change doing that, so you can see whether it will work
> on our infrastructure simply by proposing the change to your project
> and seeing if any of your jobs fail due to missing packages.
>
> [*] <URL: http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-
> config/tree/jenkins/data/bindep-fallback.txt >
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Is bindep.txt meant to be used by anything other than OpenStack CI? (As in,
are packagers going to rely on it?)

In keystone's bindep.txt, we have packages listed like:

libldap2-dev [platform:dpkg]

-> Which is only needed if you install with keystone[ldap] (see
keystone's setup.cfg[1]).

libsqlite3-dev [platform:dpkg]

-> Which is only needed for unit tests.

.. and maybe others that aren't needed in all deployments.

So there's a use case for a) integrating with extras, and b) a
"test-bindep.txt".

Maybe this is supported already or is known work to do, or maybe somebody's
looking for something to work on.

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/keystone/tree/setup.cfg#n28

--
- Brant