[openstack-dev] [Heat][Horizon] Any guidelines for naming heat resource type names?

Praveen Yalagandula ypraveen at avinetworks.com
Tue Aug 16 21:43:25 UTC 2016

Hi all,
We have developed some heat resources for our custom API server. We
followed the instructions in the development guide at
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/pluginguide.html and got
everything working. However, the Horizon "Resource Types" panel is
returning a 500 error with "TemplateSyntaxError: u'resource'" message.

Upon further debugging, we found that the Horizon is expecting all Heat
resource type names to be of form
<implementation>::<component>::<resource>. However, we didn't see this
requirement in the heat development documents. Some of our resource types
have just two words (e.g., "Avi::Pool"). Heat itself didn't care about
these names at all.

Question: Is there a general consensus is to enforce the
<implementation>::<component>::<resource>
format for type names?
If so, can we please update the heat plugin guide to reflect this?
If not, we can file it is as a bug in Horizon.

Thanks,
Praveen