[openstack-dev] [nova] The great deproxification of novaclient

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Aug 16 14:33:11 UTC 2016

The 2.36 microversion in nova's REST API makes proxy APIs for images,
baremetal, volumes and network resources return a 404.

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/newton/approved/deprecate-api-proxies.html

We realized after the fact that to support 2.36 in novaclient we
actually have to make novaclient stop using these proxy APIs too, like
for image and network lookup by name.

So we have two patches up for image and network lookup that go directly
to glance and neutron, respectively:

image: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/354349/

network: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/354981/

These rely on the service catalog to have sane values, i.e. an 'image'
entry for glance and a 'network' entry for neutron. It's also
assuming/relying on the v2 API for glance, since glance v1 should be
deprecated in Ocata.

This email is both a heads up and to see if these cause issues for anyone.

Note that these patches don't yet support the 2.36 microversion, that's
happening later here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/347514/

That change is going to try and soften the blow by falling back to 2.35
when using network CLIs, but the python API code with 2.36 will not be
handling a transition for you, the proxy APIs will fail with a 404 at
2.36 (but the APIs are opt-in for that microversion).

Please speak up soon if this hits you in any way because we plan to have
these changes merged this week and do a release probably next week.

Matt Riedemann