[openstack-dev] [all][tc][ptl] establishing project-wide goals

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Aug 16 09:36:28 UTC 2016

John Dickinson wrote:
>>> Excerpts from John Dickinson's message of 2016-08-12 16:04:42 -0700:
>>>
>>> Saying that the community has goals but that no one is expected to
>>> act to bring them about would be a meaningless waste of time and
>>> energy.
>>
>> I think we can find wording that doesn't use the word "priority" (which
>> is, I think, what John objects to the most) while still conveying that
>> project teams are expected to act to bring them about (once they said
>> they agreed with the goal).
>>
>> How about "project teams are expected to do everything they can to
>> complete those goals within the boundaries of the target development
>> cycle" ? Would that sound better ?
>
> Any chance you'd go for something like "project teams are expected to
> make progress on these goals and report that progress to the TC every
> cycle"?

The issue with this variant is that it removes the direct link between
the goal and the development cycle. One of the goals of these goals
(arh) is that we should be able to collectively complete them in a given
timeframe, so that there is focus at the same time and we have a good
story to show at the end. Those goals are smallish development cycle
goals. They are specifically chosen to be complete-able within a cycle
and with a clear definition of "done". It's what differentiates them
from more traditional cross-project specs or strategic initiatives which
can be more long-term (and on which "reporting progress to the TC every
cycle" could be an option).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)