[openstack-dev] [cinder][drivers] Backend and volume health reporting

Avishay Traeger avishay at stratoscale.com
Sun Aug 14 08:11:42 UTC 2016

Hi all,
I would like to propose working on a new feature for Ocata to provide
health information for Cinder backends and volumes.  Currently, a volume's
status basically reflects the last management operation performed on it -
it will be in error state only as a result of a failed management
operation.  There is no indication as to whether or not a backend or volume
is "healthy" - i.e., the data exists and is accessible.

The basic idea would be to add a "health" property for both backends and
volumes.

For backends, this may be something like:
- "healthy"
- "warning" (something is wrong and the admin should check the storage)
- "management unavailable" (there is no management connectivity)
- "data unavailable" (there is no data path connectivity)

For volumes:
- "healthy"
- "degraded" (i.e., not at full redundancy)
- "error" (in case of a data loss event)
- "management unavailable" (there is no management connectivity)
- "data unavailable" (there is no data path connectivity)

Before I start working on a spec, I wanted to get some feedback, especially
from driver owners:
1. What useful information can you provide at the backend level?
2. And at the volume level?
3. How would you obtain this information?  Querying the storage (poll)?
Registering for events?  Something else?
4. Other feedback?

Thank you,
Avishay

--