[openstack-dev] [cinder] [nova] locking concern with os-brick

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sun Aug 14 04:53:24 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2016-08-13 20:04:13 -0700:
> The larger issue here IMHO is that there is now a <between-project> API
> around locking that might be better suited targeting an actual lock
> management system (say redis or zookeeper or etcd or ...).

The more I look at this, the more I think this is just evidence that
the compute node itself needs to be an API unto itself. Whether it's
Neutron agents, cinder volumes, or what, nova-compute has a bunch of
under-the-covers interactions with things like this. It would make more
sense to put that into its own implementation behind a real public API
than what we have now: processes that just magically expect to be run
together with shared filesystems, lock dirs, network interfaces, etc.

That would also go a long way to being able to treat the other components
more like microservices.