[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [cinder] [nova] locking concern with os-brick

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Aug 13 22:07:17 UTC 2016

On 8/12/2016 8:54 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 8/12/2016 8:52 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

>>> Patrick East submitted a patch to add a release note on the Cinder side
>>> last night: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/354501/

>>> This is a very good point that we are shipping corruption by default. I
>>> would actually be in favor of having a global default. Other than
>>> requiring tooz for default global locking (with a lot of extra overhead
>>> for small deployments), I don't see a better way of making sure the
>>> defaults are safe for those not aware of the issue.
>>>
>>> And IMO, having the release note is just a CYA step. We can hope someone
>>> reads it - and understands it's implications - but it likely will be
>>> missed.
>>>
>>> Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
>>>
>>> Sean

>> I saw the nova one last night:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/354502/
>>
>> But I don't know the details, like what are the actual specific things
>> that fail w/o this? Vague "trust me, you need to do this or else"
>> release notes that impact how people deploy is not fun, so I'd like more
>> details before we just put this out there.
>>

> This is also probably something that should be advertised on the
> openstack-operators ML. I would at least feel more comfortable if this
> is a known thing that operators have already been dealing with and we
> just didn't realize.

I checked a tempest-dsvm CI run upstream and we don't follow this
recommendation for our own CI on all changes in OpenStack, so before we
make this note in the release notes, I'd like to see us use the same
lock_path for c-vol and n-cpu in devstack for our CI runs.

Also, it should really be a note in the help text of the actual
lock_path option IMO since it's a latent and persistent thing that
people are going to need to remember after newton has long been released
and people deploying OpenStack for the first time AFTER newton shouldn't
have to know there was a release note telling them not to shoot
themselves in the foot, it should be in the config option help text.

Matt Riedemann