[openstack-dev] [all][infra] Binary Package Dependencies - not only for Python

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri Aug 12 19:33:20 UTC 2016

On 08/12/2016 09:20 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12 2016, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>
>> Projects are encouraged to create their own bindep files. Besides
>> documenting what is required, it also gives a speedup in running tests
>> since you install only what you need and not all packages that some
>> other project might need and are installed  by default. Each test system
>> comes with a basic installation and then we either add the repo defined
>> package list or the large default list.
>
> This is awesome, I never heard of this, so I'm glad you sent it.
>
> I'd love to move telemetry projects to use this (we have a lot of
> bindeps for our tests), and I've just one question (for now).
>
> If bindep.txt is present, are the "standard" packages still installed?
> If yes, this is going to be more challenging to get bindep.txt right, as
> a missing entry will go unnoticed.

We have a backed-in minimal-ish set of packages on each node - and a
long list of default packages to install on top of it. If there's a
bindep.txt file, then the long list is not used.

So, you might still miss packages that are in the minimal-ish set - but
those can be fixed once you get bugs ;)

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)