[openstack-dev] [nova] os-capabilities library created

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Fri Aug 12 11:49:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/11/2016 05:46 PM, Clay Gerrard wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com
>> <mailto:ed at leafe.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     Overall this looks good, although it seems a bit odd to have
>>     ALL_CAPS_STRINGS to represent all:caps:strings throughout. The
>>     example you gave:
>>
>>     >>> print os_caps.HW_CPU_X86_SSE42
>>     hw:cpu:x86:sse42
>>

>> Just to be clear, this project doesn't *do* anything right?  Like it
>> won't parse `/proc/cpuinfo` and actually figure out a machines cpu flags
>> that can then be broadcast as "capabilities"?
>>
>> Like, TBH I think it took me longer than I would prefer to honestly
>> admit to find out about /sys/block/<device>/queue/rotational [1]
>>
>> So if there was a library about standardizing how hardware capabilities
>> are discovered and reported - that maybe seems like a sane sort of thing
>> for a collection of related projects to agree on.  But I'm not sure if
>> this does that?
>

> Hi Clay!
>
> It does not currently do that, but I'm interested in adding this capability
> (pun intended).

ironic-python-agent does some of this discovery. It isn't
comprehensive, but it's a good starting point if we want to
lift some of that code out. The classes are here, and the
discovery things are in the same file if you grep around. :)

https://github.com/openstack/ironic-python-agent/blob/master/ironic_python_agent/hardware.py#L186-L251

// jim