[openstack-dev] [nova] os-capabilities library created

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Aug 12 08:05:05 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 07:47:37PM -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:
> Hi Novas and anyone interested in how to represent capabilities in a
> consistent fashion.
>
> I spent an hour creating a new os-capabilities Python library this evening:
>
> http://github.com/jaypipes/os-capabilities
>
> Please see the README for examples of how the library works and how I'm
> thinking of structuring these capability strings and symbols. I intend
> os-capabilities to be the place where the OpenStack community catalogs and
> collates standardized features for hardware, devices, networks, storage,
> hypervisors, etc.
>
> Let me know what you think about the structure of the library and whether
> you would be interested in owning additions to the library of constants in
> your area of expertise.

How are you expecting that these constants are used ? It seems unlikely
the, say nova code, code is going to be explicitly accessing any of the
individual CPU flag constants. It should surely just be entirely metatadata
driven - eg libvirt driver would just parse libvirt capabilities XML and
extract all the CPU flag strings & simply export them. It would be very
undesirable to have to add new code to os-capabilities every time that
Intel/AMD create new CPU flags for new features, and force users to upgrade
openstack to be able to express requirements on those CPU flags.

> Next steps for the library include:
>
> * Bringing in other top-level namespaces like disk: or net: and working with
> contributors to fill in the capability strings and symbols.
> * Adding constraints functionality to the library. For instance, building in
> information to the os-capabilities interface that would allow a set of
> capabilities to be cross-checked for set violations. As an example, a
> resource provider having DISK_GB inventory cannot have *both* the disk:ssd
> *and* the disk:hdd capability strings associated with it -- clearly the disk
> storage is either SSD or spinning disk.

Regards,
Daniel