[openstack-dev] [nova] os-capabilities library created

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 21:46:38 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:

> Overall this looks good, although it seems a bit odd to have
> ALL_CAPS_STRINGS to represent all:caps:strings throughout. The example you
> gave:

> hw:cpu:x86:sse42

Just to be clear, this project doesn't *do* anything right?  Like it won't
parse `/proc/cpuinfo` and actually figure out a machines cpu flags that can
then be broadcast as "capabilities"?

Like, TBH I think it took me longer than I would prefer to honestly admit
to find out about /sys/block/<device>/queue/rotational [1]

So if there was a library about standardizing how hardware capabilities are
discovered and reported - that maybe seems like a sane sort of thing for a
collection of related projects to agree on.  But I'm not sure if this does
that?

-Clay

1. https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/block/queue-sysfs.txt