[openstack-dev] [TripleO] additional git repo(s) for tripleo-quickstart

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 12:10:21 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 9:45 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 03:26:18PM -0400, Wesley Hayutin wrote:
> > I'm proposing the creation of a repo called tripleo-quickstart-extras
> that
> > would contain some or all of the current third party roles used with
> > TripleO-Quickstart.
>
> Which roles in particular would you place in this -extras repository?
> One of our goals in moving roles *out* of the quickstart was to move
> them into a one-repository-per-role model that makes things easily
> composable (install only those roles you need) and that
> compartmentalizes related sets of changes.

Lars, I'm thinking about this with the following priorities in mind..
1. TripleO-Quickstart code needs to be upstream and governed by the TripleO
project
2. TripleO-Quickstart itself is a replacement for instack-virt-setup
3. TripleO-Quickstart's roles need to be composable
4. TripleO-Quickstart needs to be composable for 3rd party git repositories

If we can get one additional git repo under the TripleO umbrella I think
we've accomplished 1-3.  We can prove #4 with yum repos outside of
OpenStack.

Compartmentalizing changes in their own git repositories is nice, but also
has disadvantages.  For instance, there is less governance across the roles
by oooq core members.  If I had to weigh compartmentalizing the roles vs. a
tripleo-quickstart-extras repo in TripleO, my vote would be for the
latter.  This is just my opinion though.

James made it clear that if TripleO-Quickstart is to provide automatically
generated documentation for the TripleO project the src code has to be
under the TripleO project and the execution itself must run in the TripleO
CI environment.

It would be great if TripleO cores could weigh in and assist us in getting
one additional git repo so we can proceed with determining if automatically
generated documentation would be something TripleO would like.

Thanks