[openstack-dev] [nova] test strategy for the serial console feature

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 11:31:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 07:19:42AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 08/11/2016 05:45 AM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> > On 26.07.2016 12:16, Jordan Pittier wrote:
> >> Hi Markus
> >> You don"t really need a whole new job for this. Just turn that flag to True
> >> on existing jobs.
> >>
> >> 30/40 seconds is acceptable. But I am surprised considering a VM usually
> >> boots in 5 sec or so. Any idea of where that slowdown comes from ?
> >>
> >> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Markus Zoeller <
> >> mzoeller at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> We just had a big chat about this in the #openstack-nova IRC channel. To
> summarize:
>
> The class of bugs that are really problematic are:
>
>  * https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1455252 - Launchpad bug 1455252
> in OpenStack Compute (nova) "enabling serial console breaks live
> migration" [High,In progress] - Assigned to sahid (sahid-ferdjaoui)
>
> * https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1595962 - Launchpad bug 1595962
> in OpenStack Compute (nova) "live migration with disabled vnc/spice not
> possible" [Undecided,In progress] - Assigned to Markus Zoeller
> (markus_z) (mzoeller)
>
> Which are both in the category of serial console breaking live
> migration. It's the serial device vs. live migration that's most
> problematic. Serial consoles themselves haven't broken badly recently.
> Given that we don't do live migration testing in most normal jobs, the
> Tempest jobs aren't really going to help here.
>
> The dedicated live-migration job is being targeted.
>
> Serial console support is currently a function at the compute level.
> Which is actually a little odd. Because it means that all guests on a
> compute must be serial console, or must not. Imagine a compute running
> Linux, Windows, FreeBSD guests. It's highly unlikely that you want to
> force serial console one way or another on all of those the same way.
> This is probably something that makes sense to add as an image
> attribute, because images will need guest configuration to support
> serial consoles. As an image attribute this would also help on testing
> because we could mix / match in a single run.

There is actually image properties for this, but the way it is all
implemented right now is just insane.

For QEMU/KVM (on x86) currently, by default you get

 - a serial port which is connected to a file
 - a serial port which is connected to a pty

If you turned on the serial_console option in nova.conf you instead get

 - one or more serial ports connected to a tcp port
 - a serial port which is connected to a pty

The number of serial ports is based off an image property (
hw_serial_port_count), but strangely the code doesn't honour a
value of 0 for that. In addition the last serial port connected
to a pty should really not even exist at that point.

We should aim to get to a place where we have 'serial_console.enabled'
default to True in nova.conf and hw_serial_port_count setting how many
are created, with 0 being a valid number. Never create any other serial
ports that were not requested.

Regards,
Daniel