[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Making the nonha-multinode and undercloud jobs voting

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 10:06:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 01:14:24PM -0400, James Slagle wrote:
> I've proposed:
> https://review.openstack.org/353019
>
> which makes gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-nonha-multinode-nv and
> gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-undercloud-nv become voting jobs.
>
> I think these jobs have proven to be stable enough that we can promote
> them to be voting. If you have concerns, please vote on the patch. The
> nice thing about having these jobs voting is that jenkins will
> actually vote -1 on TripleO patches when these jobs fail.

While this is good news, I wanted to highlight that this breaks a pattern
we've been using to land code which is coupled between t-h-t and
puppet-tripleo, e.g:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/353637/

Which Depends-On:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/353582/

There is a circular dependency here, which previously wasn't a problem,
we'd ensure the t-h-t patch was all green then land both patches together.

This is no longer possible, so we will have to land t-h-t patches with
backwards compatibility hacks (or put these into puppet-tripleo), then land
the dependent patch, then land another patch to back out the hacks.

I guess this is consistent with what other projects do, but given our
relatively high number of intra-repo dependencies, it's a minor annoyance
to be aware of.

Cheers,

Steve