[openstack-dev] [nova] The deprecation of proxy API related CLI

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 04:01:08 UTC 2016

Hi, guys,

We have agreement on how to deprecate the CLI for the proxy APIs which were
deprecated in 2.36 when mid-cycle. But I still feels that we have something
isn't very clear. So I just want to summary the situation at here, and to
be clear the final goal.

Here are the patches https://review.openstack.org/347514 and
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348499

So the agreement is:

When user executes the network related CLI without specific version or with
specific version > 2.35, the CLI will fallback to 2.35 automatically.

For the API part, we won't do any workaround, so that means we will stop to
support those after 2.35, we need add decorator like this
https://github.com/openstack/python-novaclient/blob/master/novaclient/v2/servers.py#L917

But the agreement is only talk about network related thing, we also
deprecate image/volume/snapshot/baremetal/fping stuff. So what is the plan
for them? I guess we just no workaround also, stop the support after 2.35.

So the final status will be as below:

* Network CLI: Auto fallback to 2.35 in the patch
* Quota/Limit CLI: Remove network quotas after 2.35 in the current patch
* Image CLI: Currently the CLI emit the deprecated message in the code, but
it still break in 2.36(get a 404 message). We should stop support it after
2.35
* Baremetal CLI: Same as Image CLI, there is message, but will break in
2.36. Stop to support it after 2.35
* No Volume/Snapshot/fping related CLI

* Network/Image/Quota/Limit/Baremetal/Volumes/fping API: No workaround.
Stop to support them after 2.35.

Thanks
Alex