[openstack-dev] [requirements] History lesson please

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 20:03:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Hayes, Graham <graham.hayes at hpe.com> wrote:

> It might not make a difference to deployers / packagers who only deploy
> one project from OpenStack, but they are in the minority - having a
> known good minimum for requirements helps deployers who have multiple
> services to deploy.

I'm not sure how true that is.  I think in the largest cloud organizations
the different cloud services are managed by different teams that are
working hard to deliver a stable, well tested, continuously deployed,
*service* that is always rapidly approaching tracking master.

In these organizations it may be that the team ultimately fully responsible
for the successful quality and availability of just a *single* service -
doesn't need to *test* and deploy with the next new minor version of routes
(if their requirements don't mandate it) just to get out the next bug fix -
because they're not *trying* to co-install *all* the services onto a
homogenous fleet?

Even if these kind of teams were let's say... a non-trivial minority... I
don't think their needs should be *ignored*.  I agree with John & Thomas
and am excited to hear about Tony's effort.

 -Clay