[openstack-dev] [ironic] About third-party CI

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Aug 10 17:45:19 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Jim Rollenhagen's message of 2016-08-10 13:21:11 -0400:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> > Excerpts from Jim Rollenhagen's message of 2016-08-10 09:21:41 -0400:
> >> 2) A number of drivers do not have third-party CI up, let alone reporting
> >>    on patches. Unless someone moves quickly, I strongly suspect the following
> >>    drivers will be dropped from our tree before the end of Newton. These are
> >>    the setup.cfg names.
> >>
> >>       agent_amt
> >>       pxe_amt
> >>       fake_amt
> >>       agent_iboot
> >>       pxe_iboot
> >>       fake_iboot
> >>       agent_wol
> >>       pxe_wol
> >>       fake_wol
> >>       agent_vbox
> >>       fake_vbox
> >>       pxe_vbox
> >
> > Do these three need to be 3rd-party? Virtualbox is free software available
> > in at least Ubuntu, so in theory these could just be tested by regular
> > CI. I understand it's intended for windows boxes that can't easily use
> > the SSH variants, but I wonder if it's meaningful enough to run Linux
> > based CI to verify the functionality?
>
> Yes, that's certainly possible. We already run a lot of jobs in CI so
> I don't want to add too many jobs, but I'd be fine with adding a vbox job.
> If someone wants to do that work this cycle, I'd be happy to keep that
> driver in tree (but I honestly don't have time to do it myself).

Right, I don't use it, and I don't have time or focus to do it, but I
just want it to be clear: if you use that driver, and you want it to
remain in-tree, you don't have to setup a whole 3rd-party CI for it.
You can just run a job in the regular OpenStack CI system.