[openstack-dev] [Cinder] [stable] [all] Changing stable policy for drivers

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Aug 10 17:21:03 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 09:56:09AM -0700, Clay Gerrard wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org>
> wrote:
>
> > When we EOL a branch all of the infrastructure for running any ci against
> > it goes away.
>

> But... like... version control?  I mean I'm sure it's more complicated than
> that or you wouldn't have said this - but I don't understand, sorry.
>
> Can you elaborate on this?

I did in other parts of the thread. The thing is you're only thinking about the
CI system as involving a single project and repo. But, to keep the gate running
involves a lot of coordination between multiple projects that are tightly
coupled. Things like an entire extra set of job definitions in zuul, a branch on
global requirements, a devstack branch, extra devstack-gate logic, a bunch of
extra config options for skips in tempest, extra node types, etc. Keeping all
those things working together is a big part of what stable maint actually
entails. When we EOL a branch most of the mechanics involved are a matter of
cleaning up all of those pieces everywhere because we don't have the bandwidth
or resources to continue keeping it all working. That's why at the EOL we tag
the branch tip and then delete it. Leaving the branch around advertises that
we're in a position to accept new patches to it, which we aren't after the EOL.

-Matt Treinish