[openstack-dev] [neutron] Feature Classification

Gupta, Ankur ankur.gupta at intel.com
Wed Aug 10 17:20:04 UTC 2016

Hello Neutrinos,

One of the things, that is required to have ease of use, is good documentation.
Similar to what's done for Nova [4], I've decided to prepare Feature Classification for Neutron.
Work was already approved, and it got greenlit [1], but we still lack of final approval. In the light of N-3 [5] approaching, it would be nice to have it merged sooner than later.

What's Feature Matrix Classification?
The feature classification matrix will provide information about backend plugins and the features they support.
It acts as a launching point for users to read about the intent of the matrix before reviewing the matrix to find features and plugins that meet their needs.
This document will allow deployers and operators to figure out which backend plugins will fit their specific use case.

Framework for documentation is ready [2] and can be merged. It will allow to render final version of Feature Matrix.
Feature Matrix is also prepared to be merged [3]. It's rough, initial version after several iterations. There are still missing pieces of information, but even though, it's better to have something, where we can start, than nothing.

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1580327
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/318192/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/324048/
[4] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/feature_classification.html