[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Network Template Generator

Liz Blanchard lsurette at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 16:05:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:

> On 08/08/2016 09:22 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
> > On Mon, 2016-08-08 at 15:42 -0500, Ben Nemec wrote:
> >> This is something that has existed for a while, but I had been
> >> hesitant
> >> to evangelize it until it was a little more proven.  At this point
> >> I've
> >> used it to generate templates for a number of different environments,
> >> and it has worked well.  I decided it was time to record another demo
> >> and throw it out there for the broader community to look at.  See
> >> details on my blog:
> >> http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g
> >> enerator
> >>
> >> Most of what you need to know is either there or in the video itself.
> >> Let me know what you think.
> >
> > Very cool. For those that don't like "hand cutting" their own network
> > configuration templates this is a good CLI based generator.
> >
> > Like you mention it would be nice to eventually converge this tool
> > somehow into both the UI and CLI but given that it works with older
> > releases as well it makes sense that it is CLI only for now.
>
> Yeah, my assumption is that at some point the UI will have similar
> functionality.  Ideally the UI would replace this entirely, but I
> suspect that's a ways off and we'll have to see how it plays out for
> people doing CLI installs.

Speaking of which...I'd love to work closely with you, Ben, to put together
a wireframe design for the TripleO UI to support something like what you've
done here. It looks awesome and I'd love to understand the use cases a bit
more and how it might work into the current UI flow.

I do have a first draft of a design that allows for some network
configuration that I'd love to get folks thoughts on:
https://invis.io/UM87J4NBQ

Of course, as you mention, this would be something that is looking into the
future for the UI but it would be awesome to start now with wireframes :)

Thanks for sharing this,
Liz