[openstack-dev] [ironic] About third-party CI

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Wed Aug 10 13:21:41 UTC 2016

Hi Ironicers,

This email serves as a reminder (and a bit of a call to action) about our
third party CI policy:
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs/not-implemented/third-party-ci.html

1) When I went to find a link to the policy, I realized that it isn't in our
   developer docs, but only in our specs repo. Can someone volunteer to
   document this in our dev docs?

2) A number of drivers do not have third-party CI up, let alone reporting
   on patches. Unless someone moves quickly, I strongly suspect the following
   drivers will be dropped from our tree before the end of Newton. These are
   the setup.cfg names.

      agent_amt
      pxe_amt
      fake_amt
      agent_iboot
      pxe_iboot
      fake_iboot
      agent_wol
      pxe_wol
      fake_wol
      agent_vbox
      fake_vbox
      pxe_vbox
      pxe_seamicro
      fake_seamicro
      pxe_drac
      fake_drac
      pxe_snmp
      fake_snmp
      pxe_msftocs
      fake_msftocs

   It's important to note that some ironic folks have taken the burden of
   maintaining some untested drivers in an out-of-tree repo, however this
   is not an official OpenStack project, and not part of the ironic governance.
   https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ironic-staging-drivers

3) The SSH drivers (pxe_ssh and agent_ssh) that we use for some testing
   currently are planned to be dropped.  First, we need to update
   project-config to make sure all of those jobs are moved to an equivalent
   *_ipmitool job, and drop the _ssh jobs. Then we can go ahead and remove
   the drivers. I'd like a volunteer for this as well, but am happy to take
   it on as needed.

4) The drivers that use pyghmi (pxe_ipminative and agent_pyghmi) currently are
   not tested in ironic's CI. We have multiple jobs for each of the ipmitool
   drivers. Instead of making new jobs, we could just move one of the ipmitool
   drivers to use the pyghmi drivers (since they both use IPMI, it should be
   simple to do so). As with above, I'm happy to do this if there are no
   volunteers.

Thanks for reading (and hopefully volunteering!).

// jim