[openstack-dev] [Cinder] [stable] [all] Changing stable policy for drivers

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Wed Aug 10 09:31:22 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:33:52AM +0300, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> So I tried to get into helping with the cinder stable tree for a while, and
> while I wasn't very successful (lack of time and an inability to convince
> my employer it should be a priority), one thing I did notice it that much
> of the breakage seemed to come from outside cinder - many of the libraries
> we depend on make backwards incompatible changes by accident, for example.
> Would it be possible to have a long-term-support branch where we pinned the
> max version of everything for the gate, pips and devtstack? I'd have
> thought (and I'm very willing to be corrected) that would make the stable
> gate, well, stable, such that it required far less work to keep it able to
> run a basic devstack test plus unit tests.

upper-constraints helps a lot with that.  Did you time looking at the cinder
stable branches pre-date that?

Note we still don't have 100% coverage of projects using upper-constraints,
something we're closing on slowly and everytime we do it we backport it to all
the stbale branches so bit by bit it's getting much better.

Yours Tony.