[openstack-dev] [Cinder] [stable] [all] Changing stable policy for drivers

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Aug 9 21:05:47 UTC 2016

On 08/09/2016 02:10 PM, Ben Swartzlander wrote:

> The best example of why this is good is Linux. If you tell the Linux people to
> take their drivers out of the tree I can guarantee you they'll laugh you out of
> the room. The reasons for their stance are many and I won't recount them here
> (unless you want me to).

Just to play devil's advocate, the latest Intel ethernet drivers are generally
found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000

These drivers often have fixes/features that haven't made it into the kernel
yet, and are compilable against a variety of kernel versions rather than just
the most recent.

Of course the same developers also maintain in-tree kernel drivers, but changes
to the in-tree drivers only affect the currently-maintained subset of kernel
branches.

Other vendors also maintain out-of-tree drivers as well as in-tree drivers, so
the situation is exactly analogous to Cinder.

Chris