[openstack-dev] [Cinder] [stable] [all] Changing stable policy for drivers

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hpe.com
Tue Aug 9 20:47:24 UTC 2016

On 08/09/2016 11:52 AM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Walter A. Boring IV <walter.boring at hpe.com> wrote:

>>> If consumers rely on upstream releases, then they are expected to
>>> migrate to newer releases after EOL, not switch to a random branch
>>> on the internet. If they rely on some commercial product, then they
>>> usually have an extended period of support and certification for
>>> their drivers, so it’s not a problem for them.
>>>
>>> Ihar
>> This is entirely unrealistic.  Force customers to upgrade. Good luck
>> explaining to a bank that in order to get their cinder driver fix in,
>> they have to upgrade their entire OpenStack deployment. Real world
>> customers simply will balk at this all day long.
>
> Real world customers will pay for engineering to support their
> software, either their own or of one of OpenStack vendors. There is no
> free lunch from upstream here.

   Our customers are already paying us to support them and it's what we
are doing.  Nobody is asking for a free lunch from upstream.  We are
simply asking for a way to have a centralized repository that each
vendor uses to support their drivers.

The problem is how to get customers patches against older drivers and
then support following that.  We have no place to centrally place our
patches against our driver other than our forked github account for
older releases.   This is exactly what the rest of the Cinder driver
vendors are doing, and is what we are trying to avoid.  The problem even
gets worse when a customer has a LeftHand array and a SolidFire and/or
Netapp and/or Pure array.  The customer will have to get fixes from each
separate repository and monitor each of those for changes in the
future.   Which fork to they follow?  This is utter chaos from a
customer perspective as well as a distributor's perspective and is
terrible for OpenStack users/deployers.

Walt