[openstack-dev] [nova] Nova mascot

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 16:37:20 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 11:26:21AM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 8/8/2016 4:10 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2016-08-08 14:35:12 -0500:
> > > Not to be a major curmudgeon but I think we'd basically decided at the
> > > midcycle (actually weeks before) that Nova wasn't doing the mascot thing.
> > >

> > Could you maybe summarize the reason for this decision?
> >
> > Seems like everybody else is taking this moment to look inward and
> > think about how they want to be seen. Why wouldn't Nova want to take an
> > opportunity to do the same?
> >

> idk, I'm open to it I guess if people are really passionate about picking a
> mascot, but for the most part when this has come up we've basically had
> jokes about horses asses and such.
>
> Personally this feels like mandatory fun and I'm usually not interested in
> stuff like that.

It also ends up creating new problems that we then have to spend time on for
no obviously clear benefit. eg we're ging to have to collect list of proposed
mascots, check them with legal to make sure they don't clash with mascots
used by other software companies with squadrons of attack lawyers, then
arrange voting on them. Even after all that we'll probably find out later
that in some culture the mascot we've chosen has negative connotations
associated with it. All this will do nothing to improve life for people
who actually deploy and use nova, so its all rather a waste of time IMHO,

Regards,
Daniel