[openstack-dev] [vitrage] spec for datasource

Malin, Eylon (Nokia - IL) eylon.malin at nokia.com
Tue Aug 9 11:37:51 UTC 2016

Hi Yujun,

Regards your questions :
For example, let's say you have 2 packages for your datasources named : yujun.ds.snmp ,  yujun.ds.my_alerts

1. For proprietary datasources:
	a. You need that your datasource packages would be in the python path or installed in your python site-packages
	   (.e.g in RHEL 7 : under /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/)
	b. You need to edit the path value pf datasource section in vitrage.conf to include the base path of your datasource.
		In our example, you need to edit under [datasource] section, the path value to: vitrage.datasources, yujun.ds
	c. You need to have in each __init__.py of your datasources an OPTS for transformer and driver. See vitrage/vitrage/datasources/aodh/__init__.py for example.

2.   The type of datasource can be anything.
       Best practice is declare it as Constant in the __init__.py of the package as some string. For example SNMP=’snmp’.
       And use that Constant as the sync_type in make_pickleable, and as entity_type= in the transformer while creating vertex.
       Anyway in  `/etc/vitrage/datasource_values/ you need to put file with the same name as the type (string) in the entity_type of the vertex that created in the transformer.
       In this example, create `/etc/vitrage/datasource_values/snmp.yaml

3. Can be a lot of datasource types. ALARM/RESOURCE are Entity Category, and there are no more categories yet. (see vitrage.common.constants.EntityCategory)
4.  I will let Alexy Weyl to explain about that.
5. What do you mean in API format ? In your driver python class, you need to inherit from DriverBase and implement all the abstract methods.
     You can see a lot of examples in current code.
     The Datasource itself (the external system) can use any API, and your driver need to communicate with the datasource in the API that the datasource support (for example SNMP protocol if it is SNMP datasource)

Hopes that my answers helps you...

BR

Eylon