[openstack-dev] [vitrage] spec for datasource

Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL) ifat.afek at nokia.com
Tue Aug 9 10:47:04 UTC 2016

Hi Yujun,

Please see my answers below.

Best Regards,
Ifat.

From: Yujun Zhang
Date: Tuesday, 9 August 2016 at 12:06

For proprietary datasource, I'm considering to adapt the api to common protocol/interface, e.g. RESTful, SNMP and etc and I wish to know how to add support for these interface.
[Ifat]: Do you mean that you want to write a datasource that gets its information from SNMP/REST API? Note that for alarm datasources, we have in our roadmap to support OPNFV Doctor SB REST API[1]. Will it be relevant for your use cases?

Some documents are found in https://github.com/openstack/vitrage-specs and datasource seems to be related to synchronizer but I didn't find a dedicated spec.
[Ifat]: We started documenting the process of adding a new datasource, but the document is not final. We will try to finish it shortly. BTW, there are many other documents in Vitrage wiki page[2].

1. How do I register a new datasource in an existing system?
2. Is the type of datasource (ALARM/RESOURCE) configured in `/etc/vitrage/datasource_values/<datasource>.yaml` ?
[Ifat]: No, it is configured in the datasource code. For information about datasource_values please see [3]

3. Is there any other datasource type besides ALARM/RESOURCE?
[Ifat]: No, and at the moment we don’t see a need for that. Vitrage can hold resources of any type in a topology graph, and manage alarms that are raised on these resources. If you see a use case for other datasource types, let us know.

4. What does `aggregated values` and `priority` mean
[Ifat]: Detailed in [3]

5. What is the required data format for the datasource driver api? The inline comments give some brief description but didn't specify the api signature.
Many thanks.
[Ifat]: This should be part of the datasource documentation that we need to add. But basically, the driver should return a dictionary with few predefined fields (like datasource type, timestamp), and add whatever data is needed for the datasource. Then, the datasource transformer will transform this data into a vertex and decide where to connect it to the graph.

[1] https://gerrit.opnfv.org/gerrit/12179
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Vitrage
[3] https://github.com/openstack/vitrage/blob/master/doc/source/resource-state-config.rst