[openstack-dev] [nova] [scheduler] Use ResourceProviderTags instead of ResourceClass?

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Mon Aug 8 21:11:01 UTC 2016

On Aug 8, 2016, at 9:42 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

>> When some ssd-ness is consumed, all of it (infinity) is still left
>> over.
>>
>> For me it is easier: a resource provider has just one way of
>> describing what it can do: classes of inventory (that provide
>> gigabytes of disk that are ssd). When we add tags/capabilities
>> we have another mode of description.
>
> I could not disagree more. :)

Me too. I think that this is one case where thinking in SQL messes you up. Sure, you can probably make it work by hacking in the concept of infinity into the code, but there will still be a conceptual disconnect. And later, when we inevitably need to enhance resource providers and their capabilities, we will end up creating another hack to work around what is an actual inventory and what is this new infinite inventory thing.

Oh, and think of the person coming in new to the placement engine, and having to explain what an infinite inventory is. Imagine their face.

-- Ed Leafe