[openstack-dev] [Cinder] [stable] [all] Changing stable policy for drivers

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Aug 8 16:36:14 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-08 13:03:51 +0200 (+0200), Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com> wrote:
[...]
> > The suggestion was to just change our stable policy in regards to driver
> > bugfix backports. No need to create and maintain more branches. No need
> > to set up gate jobs and things like that.
>
> Unless you manage to get it approved for the global policy
[...]

That was the gist of my suggestion to Sean as far as bringing this
discussion to the ML as a first option. Basically, if lots of
projects see their driver maintainers and downstream distros forking
their stable branches to add driver updates for support of newer
hardware, then see if the current OpenStack Stable Branch policy
should be amended to say that bug fixes and newer hardware support
specifically in driver source code (as long as it doesn't touch the
core service in that repo) are acceptable.

As far as the tangent this thread has taken on changing when we
delete stable branches, I feel like the only solution there is
working with the Stable Branch team to find ways to properly extend
support for the branches in question (including keeping them
properly tested). There have been ongoing efforts to make stable
branch testing less problematic, so it's possible over time we'll be
able to increase the support duration for them. Stating that it's
okay to keep them open for changes with no testing sets a terrible
precedent.
--
Jeremy Stanley