[openstack-dev] [Cinder] [stable] [all] Changing stable policy for drivers

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Mon Aug 8 15:31:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 09:47:53AM -0500, Sean McGinnis wrote:

> > Unless you manage to get it approved for the global policy, I think
> > you will effectively make your stable:follows-policy tag obsolete,
> > and then it should be removed from your project. Read the
> > requirements:
> >
> > https://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/stable_follows-policy.html#requirements
> >
> > Support phases are part of the stable policy, and so if you don’t
> > mostly adhere to their definitions, you should not carry the tag.
> > Which is fine with me, it’s up to Cinder team to decide whether it’s
> > worth it.
>
> I think "currently active stable branches" is key there. These branches
> would no longer be "currently active". They would get an EOL tag when it
> reaches the end of the support phases. We just wouldn't delete the
> branch.

This argument comes up at least once a cycle and there is a reason we don't do
this. When we EOL a branch all of the infrastructure for running any ci against
it goes away. This means devstack support, job definitions, tempest skip checks,
etc. Leaving the branch around advertises that you can still submit patches to
it which you can't anymore. As a community we've very clearly said that we don't
land any code without ensuring it passes tests first, and we do not maintain any
of the infrastructure for doing that after an EOL.

> Again, this is only for driver code. We would not allow backports to the
> core Cinder codebase.

This distinction does not actually matter, you're still trying to backport code
without the ability to run tests in the gate. The fact that it's part of a
driver doesn't really change anything.

-Matt Treinish