[openstack-dev] [neutron][nova][SR-IOV] deprecation of supported_pci_vendor_devs

Moshe Levi moshele at mellanox.com
Mon Aug 8 12:42:52 UTC 2016

Hi all,

To reduce complexity in configuring SR-IOV I want to deprecate the supported_pci_vendor_devs option [1] in the neutron-server ml2 config.
This option is doing extra validation that pci vendor id and product id provided by nova in the neutron port binding profile is matching to the vendor id and product id  in supported_pci_vendor_devs.

In my opinion this is redundant, nova-scheduler is the point to do validation and select a suitable hypervisor.
The compute node is already validating this through the pci_passthrough_whitelist option in nova.conf [2].

I don't see a reason why the neutron-server should validate the pci vendor_id and product_id again from the neutron port binding profile.

If there is good reason to keep it please let me know, otherwise I will deprecate it.

[1] - supported_pci_vendor_devs = ['15b3:1004', '8086:10ca']
[2] - pci_passthrough_whitelist = {"address":"*:06:00.*","physical_network":"physnet1"}

Thanks,
Moshe