[openstack-dev] [Cinder] [stable] [all] Changing stable policy for drivers

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 11:07:33 UTC 2016

Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2016-08-06 17:51:02 -0400 (-0400), Ben Swartzlander wrote:
> [...]
>> when it's no longer to run dsvm jobs on them (because those jobs
>> WILL eventually break as infra stops maintaining support for very
>> old releases) then we simply remove those jobs and rely on vendor
>> CI + minimal upstream tests (pep8, unit tests).
>
> This suggestion has been resisted in the past as it's not up to our
> community's QA standards, and implying there is "support" when we
> can no longer test that changes don't cause breakage is effectively
> dishonest. In the past we've held that if a branch is no longer
> testable, then there's not much reason to collaborate on code
> reviewing proposed backports in the first place. If we're reducing
> these branches to merely a holding place for "fixes" that "might
> work" it doesn't sound particularly beneficial.

Right. At this point the branch does not really rely on openstack
infrastructure services (particularly CI), and so there is little reason to
keep the code on OpenStack premises.

A similar suggestion was proposed earlier for extending life for stable
branches while deprovisioning gate jobs, allowing interested parties to
collaborate on eg. CVE fixes in this branch. It was not supported in the
past, because CI is an integral part of the promise of ‘safe fixes’ that we
give as part of our stable policy.

Ihar