[openstack-dev] [Nova] Nova compute reports the disk usage

Tuan Luong tuan.luong at ericsson.com
Thu Aug 4 08:42:57 UTC 2016

Hi Chris,

Yes we used qcow image. However I still have something not clear. What I know is that:

- disk_available_least = free_disk - disk_over_commit
- disk_over_commit = int(virt_size) - physical_disk_size

Before launching:
- free_disk = 1025
- disk_available_least = 1016

If we use the normal flavor with 600Gb disk and no ephemeral., the result is good with both above value subtract 600Gb.
If we use the flavor without disk but 600Gb ephemeral, the result of disk_available_least = -184. The value of free_disk is still good with 425Gb. In this case, it seems that the value of disk_over_commit is 609Gb that is calculated from virt_size and physical_disk_size. What I think is the virt_size here is 600Gb and physical_disk_size is couple of Gb. How can the value 609Gb appear? I agree that the backing_file of ephemeral_disk is sparse and 600Gb.

Best,

Tuan