[openstack-dev] [nova] os-capabilities library created

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 23:47:37 UTC 2016

Hi Novas and anyone interested in how to represent capabilities in a
consistent fashion.

I spent an hour creating a new os-capabilities Python library this evening:

http://github.com/jaypipes/os-capabilities

Please see the README for examples of how the library works and how I'm
thinking of structuring these capability strings and symbols. I intend
os-capabilities to be the place where the OpenStack community catalogs
and collates standardized features for hardware, devices, networks,
storage, hypervisors, etc.

Let me know what you think about the structure of the library and
whether you would be interested in owning additions to the library of
constants in your area of expertise.

Next steps for the library include:

* Bringing in other top-level namespaces like disk: or net: and working
with contributors to fill in the capability strings and symbols.
* Adding constraints functionality to the library. For instance,
building in information to the os-capabilities interface that would
allow a set of capabilities to be cross-checked for set violations. As
an example, a resource provider having DISK_GB inventory cannot have
*both* the disk:ssd *and* the disk:hdd capability strings associated
with it -- clearly the disk storage is either SSD or spinning disk.

Anyway, lemme know your initial thoughts please.

Best,
-jay