[openstack-dev] [nova][tempest] testing different configurations by exploiting the mutate attribute?

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Aug 2 13:44:53 UTC 2016

IIUC, each gate testing job has a *fixed configuration* which will never
be changed when executing *all* tempest tests. If I need to test a
specific configuration, a new testing job is needed. As we have a
limited amount of test nodes, this creates testing gaps as we cannot
test all (reasonable/worthy) configuration permutations.

In [1] I asked for advice how I can test the Nova serial console feature
without creating a new test job and I'm wondering if we can exploit the
mutable attribute of config options [2] for testing purposes in general.
We already do something similar with the live-migration testing job [3].
This relies on restarting the services after changing the "nova.conf"
file however.

I'd like to discuss:
1) Do we see the need for more tempest tests with different
   configurations?
2) If ^ is true, what are the arguments against having a new testing
   job "gate-tempest-dsvm-full-mutate-configs" + writing tempest
   tests which send a SIGHUP to trigger the reload of previously
   changed "nova.conf" file?