[openstack-dev] [gnocchi] Support for other drivers - influxdb

Sam Morrison sorrison at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 05:13:11 UTC 2016

Hi Gnocchi Devs,

We have been using gnocchi for a while now with the influxDB driver and are keen to get the influxdb driver back into upstream.

However looking into the code and how it’s arranged it looks like there are a lot of assumptions that the backend storage driver is carbonara based.

Is gnocchi an API for time series DBs or is it a time series DB itself?

In saying that we have resurrected the driver in the stable/2.1 branch and it works great.

Running tox I get:

======
Totals
======
Ran: 2655 tests in 342.0000 sec.
 - Passed: 2353
 - Skipped: 293
 - Expected Fail: 0
 - Unexpected Success: 0
 - Failed: 9
Sum of execute time for each test: 1135.6970 sec.

The tests that are failing are due to the way carbonara and influx handle the retention and multiple granularities differently. (which we can work around outside of gnocchi for now)

So I guess I’m wondering if there will be support for other drivers apart from carbonara?

We use influx because we already use it for other stuff within our organisation and don’t want to set up ceph or swift (which is quite an endeavour) to support another time series DB.

Thanks,
Sam