[openstack-dev] [ironic] How should ironic and related project names be written?

Sam Betts (sambetts) sambetts at cisco.com
Mon Aug 1 10:35:54 UTC 2016

Its official OpenStack policy that project names be written in lower case, for example Ironic must always be written as ironic, however I was recently writing a spec for IPA, and was unsure how to approach writing IPAs name in full.
Discussing this with Dmitry on IRC, we decided it would be best brought to a wider audience on the ML because this affects any project that includes ironic's name in their name.

Ironic Python Agent
ironic Python Agent
ironic python agent
ironic-python-agent

I prefer a capitalised Ironic Python Agent name, because it lines up with the way we write the acronym, IPA, and makes it obvious its a name, however I'm unsure if this aligns with the OpenStack policy. If we need to lower case the whole of IPA's name, then I prefer we refer to it using including the dashes, so that it is obviously a project name.

A couple of other projects that also use ironic in the name:

Ironic Inspector
ironic Inspector
ironic inspector
Ironic-inspector

Ironic Lib
ironic Lib
ironic lib
ironic-lib

I would like to hear some opinions on whether we should always refer to the projects as they are written if you go to git.openstack.org (with dashes) or which of the above styles we're allowed, and prefer?

Sam