[openstack-dev] [nova][rfc] Booting docker images using nova libvirt

Sudipta Biswas sbiswas7 at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Aug 1 06:06:44 UTC 2016

Thanks Devdatta/Maxime for your comments.

I am definitely not rigid about implementing the workflow in Nova and
it's well known that there can be multiple integration points for this
work including that in docker itself. However, there are two prime
reasons why we chose Nova as integration point in OpenStack:

1. Minimal changes to a VM boot workflow. No need to depend on Swift or
any other service.
2. Faster boot up times - since the downloading of the virtual machine
image is negated. Downloading the docker filesystems should be more or
less easier.

Some comments inline.

Thanks,

Sudipto

On 27/07/16 11:59 PM, Maxime Belanger wrote:

> +1 on this,
>

> Still you loose all the great stuff about the containers but it is a
> first step towards native container orchestration platform.

IMHO, it is not about just losing stuff. We are not emulating a docker
workflow. The expectation is to have the ability to run a container
inside a virtual machine and then take that filesystem out and run it
natively on the hardware as desired. You can debate on whether it's
really needed in Nova or elsewhere and I think that's a fair debate.

I am sure there are further technical challenges to overcome, if we want
to think in this direction.
> *Subject:* Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][rfc] Booting docker images using
> nova libvirt
> Hi Sudipta,
>
> There is another approach you can consider which does not need any
> changes to Nova.
>
> The approach works as follows:
> - Save the container image tar in Swift
> - Generate a Swift tempURL for the container file
> - Boot Nova vm and pass instructions for following steps through cloud
> init / user data
>   - download the container file from Swift (wget)
I believe this has to be carried out for every docker image? That is if
i have a nginx image and it's provisioned twice, a fresh copy of such
has to be wget'ed every time? IF the nova workflow is acceptable, then
there can be optimizations thought around this. At this moment, my
implementation copies the cached image for each of the containers -
atleast making further boots faster.
Also, how do you tackle the problem with snapshoting a container?
>   - load it (docker load)
>   - run it (docker run)
Do you run the docker native commands inside the virtual machine? In
such a case, do you actually install docker
as a part of the cloud-init scripts? Do you have numbers w.r.t the boot
time of the container image in this case?