[openstack-dev] [magnum] Notes for Magnum design summit
hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Sat Apr 30 04:05:37 UTC 2016
For reference, below is a summary of the discussions/decisions in Austin design summit. Please feel free to point out if anything is incorrect or incomplete. Thanks.
1. Bay driver: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-bay-driver
- Refactor existing code into bay drivers
- Each bay driver will be versioned
- Individual bay driver can have API extension and magnum CLI could load the extensions dynamically
- Work incrementally and support same API before and after the driver change
2. Bay lifecycle operations: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-bays-lifecycle-operations
- Support the following operations: reset the bay, rebuild the bay, rotate TLS certificates in the bay, adjust storage of the bay, scale the bay.
3. Scalability: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-scalability
- Implement Magnum plugin for Rally
- Implement the spec to address the scalability of deploying multiple bays concurrently: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/275003/
4. Container storage: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-container-storage
- Allow choice of storage driver
- Allow choice of data volume driver
- Work with Kuryr/Fuxi team to have data volume driver available in COEs upstream
5. Container network: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-container-network
- Discuss how to scope/pass/store OpenStack credential in bays (needed by Kuryr to communicate with Neutron).
- Several options were explored. No perfect solution was identified.
6. Ironic Integration: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-ironic-integration
- Start the implementation immediately
- Prefer quick work-around for identified issues (cinder volume attachment, variation of number of ports, etc.)
7. Magnum adoption challenges: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-adoption-challenges
- The challenges is listed in the etherpad above
8. Unified abstraction for COEs: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-unified-abstraction
- Create a new project for this efforts
- Alter Magnum mission statement to clarify its goal (Magnum is not a container service, it is sort of a COE management service)
9. Magnum Heat template version: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-heat-template-versioning
- In each bay driver, version the template and template definition.
- Bump template version for minor changes, and bump bay driver version for major changes.
10. Monitoring: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-monitoring
- Add support for sending notifications to Ceilometer
- Revisit bay monitoring and self-healing later
- Container monitoring should not be done by Magnum, but it can be done by cAdvisor, Heapster, etc.
11. Others: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-magnum-meetup
- Clear Container support: Clear Container needs to integrate with COEs first. After the integration is done, Magnum team will revisit bringing the Clear Container COE to Magnum.
- Enhance mesos bay to DCOS bay: Need to do it step-by-step: First, create a new DCOS bay type. Then, deprecate and delete the mesos bay type.
- Start enforcing API deprecation policy: https://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/assert_follows-standard-deprecation.html
- Freeze API v1 after some patches are merged.
- Multi-tenancy within a bay: not the priority in Newton cycle
- Manually manage bay nodes (instead of being managed by Heat ResourceGroup): It can address the use case of heterogeneity of bay nodes (i.e. different availability zones, flavors), but need to elaborate the details further.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev