[openstack-dev] [nova] Encrypted Ephemeral Storage

Coffman, Joel M. Joel.Coffman at jhuapl.edu
Mon Apr 25 16:28:17 UTC 2016

Based on the comments to the RBD encryption change [1], it looks like there will be a new direction for ephemeral disk encryption (embedding it in QEMU directly). I assume LVM will work the same way when the time comes. Will there be a migration path for the existing ephemeral disk encryption support for LVM to the new model?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239798/

Yes, as I understand it, the long-term goal is to provide encryption support directly in QEMU and have a unified interface for LVM, RBD, and file-based backends. I do not yet know what the potential migration path will look like.