[openstack-dev] Summit Core Party after Austin

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Apr 21 17:40:15 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2016-04-21 18:22:53 +0200:
> Michael Krotscheck wrote:
> > So, HPE is seeking sponsors to continue the core party. The reasons are
> > varied - internal sponsors have moved to other projects, the Big Tent
> > has drastically increased the # of cores, and the upcoming summit format
> > change creates quite a bit of uncertainty on everything surrounding the
> > summit.
> >
> > Furthermore, the existence of the Core party has been... contentious.
> > Some believe it's exclusionary, others think it's inappropriate, yet
> > others think it's a good way to thank those of use who agree to be
> > constantly pestered for code reviews.
> >
> > I'm writing this message for two reasons - mostly, to kick off a
> > discussion on whether the party is worthwhile. Secondly, to signal to
> > other organizations that this promotional opportunity is available.
> >
> > Personally, I appreciate being thanked for my work. I do not necessarily
> > need to be thanked in this fashion, however as the past venues have been
> > far more subdued than the Tuesday night events (think cocktail party),
> > it's a welcome mid-week respite for this overwhelmed little introvert. I
> > don't want to see it go, but I will understand if it does.
> >
> > Some numbers, for those who like them (Thanks to Mark Atwood for
> > providing them):
> >
> > Total repos: 1010
> > Total approvers: 1085
> > Repos for official teams: 566
> > OpenStack repo approvers: 717
> > Repos under release management: 90
> > Managed release repo approvers: 281
>
> I think it's inappropriate because it gives a wrong incentive to become
> a core reviewer. Core reviewing should just be a duty you sign up to,
> not necessarily a way to get into a cool party. It was also a bit
> exclusive of other types of contributions.
>
> Apparently in Austin the group was reduced to only release:managed
> repositories. This tag is to describe which repositories the release
> team is comfortable handling. I think it's inappropriate to reuse it to
> single out a subgroup of cool folks, and if that became a tradition the
> release team would face pressure from repositories to get the tag that
> are totally unrelated to what the tag describes.

I didn't realize the tag was being used that way. I agree it's completely
inappropriate, and I wish someone had asked.

> So.. while I understand the need for calmer parties during the week, I
> think the general trends is to have less parties and more small group
> dinners. I would be fine with HPE sponsoring more project team dinners
> instead :)

That fits my vision of the new event, which is less focused on big
glitzy events and more on small socializing opportunities.

Doug