[openstack-dev] [tripleo][releases] Remove diskimage-builder from releases

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:26:57 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> It's not just about control, it's also about communication. One of
> the most frequent refrains we hear is "what is OpenStack", and one
> way we're trying to answer that is to publicize all of the things
> we release through releases.openstack.org. Centralizing tagging
> also helps us ensure consistent versioning rules, good timing, good
> release announcements, etc.
>
> Since dib is part of tripleo, and at least 2 other projects depend
> on it directly (sahara-image-elements and manila-image-elements),
> I would expect the tripleo team to want it included on the site,
> to publish release announcements, etc.
>
> On the other hand, dib is using the release:independent model, which
> indicates that the team in fact doesn't think it should be considered
> part of the "product." Maybe we can use that as our flag for which
> projects should really be managed by the release team and which
> should not, but we don't want projects that want to be part of official
> releases to use that model.
>
> With what I know today, I can't tell which side of the line dib is
> really on. Maybe someone can clarify?

dib is part of a TripleO "release" given it's used by users to both
install the Undercloud and build Overcloud images. IMO, I think it
makes sense to move it from release:independent to
release:cycle-with-intermediary.

Just fyi, the topic of choosing the right release tags for all the
TripleO projects just came up in the TripleO meeting today in light of
moving to the centralized release tagging. I would think all the
projects would be moving from release:independent to the proposed
release:cycle-trailing or release:cycle-with-intermediary.

--
-- James Slagle