[openstack-dev] [tripleo][releases] Remove diskimage-builder from releases

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 02:11:35 UTC 2016

Hi,

diskimage-builder has fallen under the "centralised release tagging"
mechanism [1], presumably because it is under tripleo.  I'd like to
propose that we don't do that.

Firstly, dib doesn't have any branches to manage.

dib's other main function is as part of the daily CI image builds.
This means to get a fix into the CI images in a somewhat timely
fashion, we approve the changes and make sure our releases happen
before 14:00 UTC, and monitor the build results closely in nodepool.

I don't expect the stable release team to be involved with all this;
but if we miss windows then we're left either going to efforts getting
one of a handful of people with permissions to do manual rebuilds or
waiting yet another day to get something fixed.  Add some timezones
into this, and simple fixes are taking many days to get into builds.
Thus adding points where we can extend this by another 24 hours
really, well, sucks.

I have previously suggested running dib from git directly to avoid the
release shuffle, but it was felt this was not the way to go [2].  I've
proposed putting the release group back with [3] and cleaning up with
[4].

Thanks,

-i

[1] https://review.openstack.org/298866