[openstack-dev] [nova] [neutron] the nova network facade that isn't

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Apr 18 20:33:55 UTC 2016

When doing bug triage this morning a few bugs popped up:

- https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1456899 - nova absolute-limits
Security groups count incorrect when using Neutron
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1376316 - nova absolute-limits
floating ip count is incorrect in a neutron based deployment
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1456897 - nova absolute-limits
Floating ip

The crux of this is the Nova limits API basically returns junk about
resources it doesn't own. It's been this way forever.

Last year there was a spec to add proxying to Neutron to the Nova API -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/206735/ - which died on the vine.

I think we've moved to a point in time where we need to stop thinking
about nova-net / neutron parity in our API. Neutron is the predominate
stack out there. Where things don't work correctly with Neutron from our
proxy API we should start saying "yes, that's not supported, please go
talk to Neutron" one way or another.

I feel like in this case it would be dropping the keys which we know are
lies (terrible lies). If using OpenStack client, it can smooth over
this. In general, people should assume they should be talking to neutron
when getting this kind of data. I feel like in other cases where we
don't return good neutron data today, we should accept that as status
quo, and not fix it.

I'd like to propose an alternative spec which is this kind of approach,
to by policy not enhance any of the proxies and instead focus on ways in
which we can aggressively deprecate them. But figured it was worth
discussion first. Flame away!

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague