[openstack-dev] [TripleO][CI] Ability to reproduce failures

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 08:58:11 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:08:28PM +0200, Gabriele Cerami wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-04-08 at 16:18 +0100, Steven Hardy wrote:
>
> > Note we're not using devtest at all anymore, the developer script
> > many
> > folks use is tripleo.sh:
>
> So, I followed the flow of the gate jobs starting from jenkins builder
> script, and it seems like it's using devtest (or maybe something I
> consider to be devtest but it's not, is devtest the part that creates
> some environments, wait for them to be locked by gearman, and so on ?)

So I think the confusion may step from the fact ./docs/TripleO-ci.rst is
out of date.  Derek can confirm, but I think although there may be a few
residual devtest pieces associated with managing the testenv VMs, there's
nothing related to devtest used in the actual CI run itself anymore.

See this commit:

https://github.com/openstack-infra/tripleo-ci/commit/a85deb848007f0860ac32ac0096c5e45fe899cc5

Since then we've moved to using tripleo.sh to drive most steps of the CI
run, and many developers are using it also.  Previously the same was true
of the devtest.sh script in tripleo-incubator, but now that is totally
deprecated and unused (that it still exists in the repo is an oversight).

> What I meant with "the script I'm using (created by Sagi) is not
> creating the same enviroment" is that is not using the same test env
> (with gearman and such) that the ci scripts are currently using.

Sure, I guess my point is that for 99% of issues, the method used to create
the VM is not important.  We use a slightly different method in CI to
manage the VMs than in most developer environments, but if the requirement
is to reproduce CI failures, you mostly care about deploying the exact same
software, not so much how virsh was driven to create the VMs.

Thanks for digging into this, it's great to have some fresh eyes
highlighting these sorts of issues! :)

Steve