[openstack-dev] [all][stackalytics] Gaming the Stackalytics stats

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Fri Apr 8 19:16:26 UTC 2016

On 04/08/2016 03:04 PM, Doug Wiegley wrote:

>> On Apr 8, 2016, at 11:26 AM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Team,
>>
>> Steve pointed out to a problem in Stackalytics:
>> https://twitter.com/stevebot/status/718185667709267969
>>
>> It's pretty clear what's happening if you look here:
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/owner:openstack-infra%2540lists.openstack.org+status:open
>>
>> Here's the drastic step (i'd like to avoid):
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/303545/
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Is it really worth trying to stop the folks that will game the system?  That is a never-ending arms race.
>
> Has anyone ever been made core or had some influence purely by pumping stacklytics? I haven’t seen it, since that usually requires personal relationships that are far more important than numbers.
>
> Are they using the numbers for some internal company purpose maybe?  If so, how does it matter to any of us?
>
> Chasing this tail just takes time away from useful things, IMO.
>
> doug

The shame of it is that at least one of the folks wasting their time
with this has the ability to become a beneficial contributor including
useful reviews. I do hope that drawing attention to their activity will
motivate them to re-evaluate and perhaps engage in behaviour that is
both needed and valued.

I do agree with you though Doug, to most people this already is obvious.

Thanks,
Anita.