[openstack-dev] [tripleo][fuel] puppet-pacemaker: collaboration is starting now

Michele Baldessari michele at acksyn.org
Wed Apr 6 08:17:59 UTC 2016

This is great news, thanks for working on this Emilien and everyone!

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 04:04:03PM -0400, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> A few months ago, we moved redhat/puppet-pacemaker to
> openstack/puppet-pacemaker for some reasons:
>
> * We wanted to take benefits from OpenStack Infra (Gerrit, Zuul,
> Jenkins jobs) and improve testing coverage.
>
> Result: we succeed in here, changes in puppet-pacemaker no longer
> break TripleO HA jobs, since we have the CI running for every patch.
> Sofer is also doing an incredible work on testing at this time, with
> beaker jobs and also make the module cleaner & testable.
>
> * TripleO is using this module and we saw an opportunity to share this
> code with OpenStack community.
>
> Result: we recently had some conversations with Fuel folks on this ML
> and on IRC, who also work on a puppet-pacemaker module, and they are
> willing to merge both modules.
> The collaboration is starting now: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/296440/
>
> Some actions in progress:
> * Move bits from fuel-infra/puppet-pacemaker to
> openstack/puppet-pacemaker (see 296440)
> * Adding Fuel CI running for patches in openstack/puppet-pacemaker
> * Adding Beaker tests to run on Ubuntu
> * Try to find an alternative to pcs for Ubuntu platform (pcs is not in
> debian/ubuntu)
> * Investigate if we can follow Fuel's moduel where XML is used instead of PCS.

This is unlikely to fly for RHEL-based distros as pcs is the only
officially supported way of interacting with a pacemaker cluster.
I think in the short-term it makes sense to somehow have both mechanisms
in place (is this even possible?) and then once 'pcs' hits the stable
debian-derived distros to invest in that direction.

> Some requirements:
> * Work will be done by iterated and test driven, thanks to beaker
> tests and Fuel CI / TripleO CI.
> * We need to converge a maximum of resources, when we can, but still
> keep a feature parity for both Fuel & TripleO installers.
>
> Feel free to jump in this work / conversation if you are involved in
> TripleO / Fuel / or interested by this module, we're doing this the
> open way.

I am definitely interested in this work. I will start looking at the
pcs provider changes and hopefully bring some feedback. If you do
have any questions on the pacemaker side of things, please do reach
out.

cheers,
Michele
--
Michele Baldessari            <michele at acksyn.org>
C2A5 9DA3 9961 4FFB E01B  D0BC DDD4 DCCB 7515 5C6D