[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Heat][Kolla][Magnum] The zen of Heat, containers, and the future of TripleO

Andrew Beekhof abeekhof at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 03:24:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 6:02 AM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:

[...]

> That said regardless of what we eventually do with Pacemaker or Puppet
> it should be feasible for them both to co-exist.

The key thing to keep in mind if you're using Puppet to build a
cluster is that if you're doing something to a service that is or will
be managed by the cluster, that service should either:

- not be part of the cluster at that time, or
- the cluster needs to be told to ignore the service temporarily, or
- the act of taking the service down or bringing it up needs to be
done via cluster tools

NOT doing one of those, telling the cluster "here's a service, make
sure its available" and then screwing around with it, puts the cluster
and Puppet into conflict (essentially an internal split-brain) that
rarely ends well.