[openstack-dev] [all] -1 due to line length violation in commit messages

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 12:09:05 UTC 2015

On 28/09, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 2015-09-28 11:47, Gorka Eguileor wrote:
> >On 26/09, Morgan Fainberg wrote:
> >>As a core (and former PTL) I just ignored commit message -1s unless there is something majorly wrong (no bug id where one is needed, etc).
> >>
> >>I appreciate well formatted commits, but can we let this one go? This discussion is so far into the meta-bike-shedding (bike shedding about bike shedding commit messages) ... If a commit message is *that* bad a -1 (or just fixing it?) Might be worth it. However, if a commit isn't missing key info (bug id? Bp? Etc) and isn't one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic, there isn't a good reason to block the review.
> >>
> >>It is not worth having a bot -1 bad commits or even having gerrit muck with them. Let's do the job of the reviewer and actually review code instead of going crazy with commit messages.
> >>
> >>Sent via mobile
> >>

> >I have to disagree, as reviewers we have to make sure that guidelines
> >are followed, if we have an explicit guideline that states that
> >the limit length is 72 chars, I will -1 any patch that doesn't follow
> >the guideline, just as I would do with i18n guideline violations.
> > [...]
>
> You could also tell the committer about the length so that s/he learns for
> the next time. Giving a -1 just for a few lines that are 80 chars long is
> over the top IMHO,
>
> Andreas
> --

I tell the committer of this guideline, just like it was told to me on
my first commits; and I agree that it sucks to give or receive a -1 for
this, but let me put it this way, how many times will you be
getting/giving a -1 to the same person for this?

If it's a first time committer you'll probably say it once, they'll
learn it, fix it and them we have all our commits conforming to our
guidelines, not such a big deal (although I agree with Miguel Angel that
this should be automated) and if it's not a first time committer he
should have known better and he deserves the -1 for not paying attention
and/or not having his dev env properly setup.